top of page

An Adventurous Start to the Day

Have you ever had a morning when the universe seems to be telling you to turn around and go home? I had one of those mornings today. I took a few days off work to concentrate on my writing, and today was my first day back. The trek to work was a little more adventurous than normal. It seemed like the universe was telling me to turn around and go back home. Maybe crawl back in bed and try again later.

My alarm went off on time, and I got up in plenty of time to take a shower and get ready for work. That’s about the end of my being on schedule. I had one obstacle after another that seemed to conspired to make me late to work. In fact, everything seemed to scream at me to go back to bed.

Yesterday I washed the sweater I wanted to wear today and lay it flat to dry in the laundry room. Well, it wasn’t completely dry, and I didn’t want to wear a wet shirt to work, so I had to find something else. My husband was asleep in the bedroom, and I didn’t want to risk waking him up by going back in there. Thankfully, I keep a few clothes in the closet of my study, so I chose a shirt from there.

I was still doing okay on time after I got dressed and packed my lunch box. I had my hand on the doorknob to leave with my purse on my shoulder and umbrella in my hand when I realized I wasn’t wearing my glasses. As someone who not only wears bifocals but has a third prescription for reading, I absolutely cannot leave my house without my glasses. So, I tiptoed back into pitch dark my bedroom where my husband was sound asleep and felt around for them. As luck would have it, I’m one of those people who can move around in the dark if I know the space well, and I located my spectacles with little effort.

I left my house with 18 minutes to get to work. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, that’s usually about how much time it takes me to get to work. I like to give myself at least twenty-five minutes, but I can’t turn back time.

I was cruising down Colonial Drive when a huge deer ran out in front of me. It was way too close a call. I slammed on my brakes, which worked well despite the wet pavement. I missed the deer by a few inches. I took a deep breath and continued on my way.

There was a terrible accident when I came up to the intersection of Colonial and MacArthur Drive. A pickup truck had pulled out in front of a tractor trailer and lost the fight. The poor truck’s front left side was all caved in. It was obviously a total loss and made me worry the driver might be hurt. The tractor trailer’s right side had some damage, but it probably wasn’t a total loss. I’m sure that driver was okay.

I carefully eased out between the police cars, their blinding lights piercing the early morning darkness, and drove the rest of the way to work with great caution. I was two minutes late, but I’m calling that a victory. I made it to work safe and sound despite the dangers to which I came so close.

I feel bad for the drivers of the crashed vehicles. The news said the pickup driver had non life-threatening injuries. That person is lucky to still be alive.

That’s why it’s so important to be careful and pay attention while behind the wheel. As it is, everyone lived, even the daredevil dear that wanted to get up close and personal with me.

Thank you for reading Ozarks Maven! If you’ve enjoyed my little seeds of wisdom and joy, please subscribe to Ozarks Maven, Like Ozarks Maven on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter @OzarksMaven.

I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page